Saturday, February 02, 2008

groundhog /Imbolc



Aw, isn't he cute?
Well we all know it's Groundhog Day today, don't we? So why don't we celerbate groundhog day here, or have any apparent interest in it whatsoever? Well, someone did say Happy Imbolc to me yesterday at my Taichi class, and, as you may know, Imbolc is basically the same festival: half way between winter and spring, and Groundhog Day comes from Candlemas, which I'm sure comes from Imbolc. It just makes sense.
So far so good. Well, it just occurred to me, pancake day being only next week, that pancake day is also the same festival, except it's calculated back from Easter, the date of which is influenced by the lunar and weekly cycles (ie, Easter Day being the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring Equinox). But who the hell says so? The Pope? And when do we celebrate it? It's all so dissipated. I mean I'm all for everyone doing their own thing and all, but where's the meaning? and what's the point in celebrating if we don't know what we're celebrating and we aren't doing it together?
OK: back to groundhogs. For those of you who don't know: it's basically one of those weather prediction days. If it's sunny that means there's going to be another 6 weeks of cold weather and the groundhog (AKA woodchuck) is meant to pop his head out of hibernation and if he sees his shadow he goes back inside again, knowing the winter's not over yet. It doesn't have to be a groundhog; we don't have them here, do we? Anyway, so, guess what? it's sunny today for the first time in ages! So, I guess my hibernating days are not over yet.
It snowed here last night, too. I might just go and take some pictures for you instead of festering inside. O and feed the rabbits, of course. See, the children aren't here. They're in Penrith with Daddy and Daddy's girlfriend. I bet it's snowed there.
Happy, urm ....day, whatever floats your boat.

2 comments:

Jax Blunt said...

happy day. that works for me.

Gill said...

I feel exactly the same, about festivals etc. The moving and obfustication of them annoys me. I'm tempted to officially become a pagan just for that reason alone. Happy Imbolc :-) I hope you have a restful week.