Saturday, July 05, 2008

remember me?

Ok, well we have been a busy of late, what with the Fringe, etc, which I shall blog about here when I get round to it. But there has been some other stuff going on in our lives as well. Here are some of the highlights...


Theres been Calderdale pulling the plug on Joy's stabling experience: "no-one under 13 is allowed to groom a horse"... they need work permits now. This was pretty devastating news, but the stables are starting a pony club to find a way round the regulations.


there's been a wet summer solstice round a bonfire

...with fire twirling


There's been a 21st birthday

...featuring Meg Munroe
And we spend this week at Grandma's, looking after her, playing where I used to play,
...cycling and talking to horses
and of course lots of homework. There might be more about this later.

6 comments:

Jax Blunt said...

What have Calderdale done? Sounds utterly ridiculous!

Rosie said...

O i think I need to elaborate on this in a dedicated post, but basically children are not allowed to "help out" at stables. riding lessons are allowed, which can include grooming, as long as it's paid for as a lesson, but exactly the same activity is not allowed outside of this, even if the stables are willing to do it for free. The quote is directly from the horses mouth, as it were- they see all "helping out" at "work", for which they are "paid" by being allowed to ride a horse. Even if that horse is in need of being ridden by a semi-experienced rider. We seem to finding ways now, at least, but I'm a little bit paranoid of mentioning anything about it at the moment...

Jenny said...

We have the same regs here. Our local stables offers a 'pony day' as a way of getting around it.
The children get a lesson, they then do 'ponty care' and are rewarded with a hack on the hills after lunch.
They charge a fee which is not a million miles away from the charge for a 40 min lesson but obviously they- and the kids are getting much more riding time.
Such a shame that this has happened in your area too :(

Rosie said...

yeah- They said they are going to do the pony club thing on a Saturday afternoon. They do pony days on some saturdays. I just don't want to have to pay 25 quid a time when I'm used to getting it for free- But I think we might be able to come to some sort of arrangement. Joy seems to be taking it all very well, anyway. It's a long time till she's 13, and by that time i think it's a bit late to start getting into ponies!

'EF' said...

That's just fng ridiculous about those regulations!!!

WHAT is the world coming to?

I can feel a Victor Meldrew moment coming on. It's just mad.

PerfectMomentProject said...

Rosie is another Twitter MIA... http://perfectmomentproject.blogspot.com/