Wednesday, January 20, 2010

winter: enough already



Well the big melt came on Saturday, about flippin time as I know it looked pretty but it was making life very difficult. I don't mind the odd day or so of being holed up by the fire, but this was over two weeks. We were running out of coal! And when the schools opened I felt obliged to walk there and back twice a day, in snow and ice, which was seriously interfering with my dysfunctional symphysis pubis, thankyou very much. It's ok now, and I quite enjoyed the walking, especially when I reallised that it was way too slippy to go the ungritted back roads, in fact the only way to go was to walk down the middle of two A-roads, which can be accessed out the back. However my children are far too sensible (brainwashed) to walk on a road, but preferred to risk the pavements, which I think would actually have resulted in hospitallisation had I fallen as many times as they did.

And it was really cold! The sort of cold that makes you want to eat a cooked breakfast, followed by a really hearty stew and dumplings. (See pic, although I think you can tell it has gone cold and had been attacked by a hungry mob). The sort of cold that makes you fantasize about hooded jumper-jacket type things that look really warm and actually contemplate spending 60 quid on one, because it's a justifiable necessity. (...and yes i did). The sort of cold that hurts, especially when it the snow pricks your eyes when you're walking along, and the buses aren't running, so you get a taxi.
So, by Friday I was a bit of a run-down wreck. The boys went to their dad's for the weekend and I just sat in a torpor knitting a sock. I did find a hidden depth in the coal bunker and got the fire really hot on Friday night. I barely moved from the sofa till Sunday afternoon, apart from finally digging the car out on Saturday (no digging it just melted!), and taking huge amonts of uncollected rubbish to the tip, and stocking up on essentials in LIDL (Leedle, dahling). I knitted round an entire perfect heel of a sock before I reallised I had used the wrong size needles.

So here I am, back on the sofa. I am still taking it easy on myself, not giving myself a hard time for driving the school run. I think I was so wiped out over the weekend because I hadn't had time to recover from the nasty cold and the whole snow-thing was pretty hard work really. The ME clinic called to cancel yesterday's appointment, which is probably just as well, as I was let down over childcare at the last minute, in a snow- related change of plan.

So we seem to be back to normal, finally, after a month of extended holiday, and a bit of a slow start to the week due to Freddie having an awful sounding cough and not going to school Monday, so I missed yoga :( Course he was fine by lunchtime. Also Meg has flown over to the west coast of Ireland to bury her grandma today. I hope she's ok- I know she's a big girl now, but it is a long way to go by yourself.

Right. That's an hour's worth of faffing, I only have another before I have to go out again. It's supposed to snow again, and it's looking very grey...

No comments: