Monday, December 18, 2006

The day we went to Halifax


We had a trip out to Halifax today. I had to fix the slow puncture as is was getting a bit less slow, and I was supposed to be partaking in a scrapstore joint membership with Alethea, among others. I have been meaning to get over to the Halifax meeting to see Gill. I also had to pick up my hat, which I left in the Square Chapel.
Maybe that was too many things to fit into one day, but I did manage it all, plus another trip to Home Bargains to get knitting yarn. Joy has just managed to teach herself to knit since I came back with some funky fluffy pink stuff. Its a bit difficult to knit with, though hides the mistakes! She has now started on a less difficult, yet novelty yarn in blues and greens- a sort of thick and thin hand-spun effect, very soft, with giant wooden needles, about 10mm. Thes are last minute Christmas presents: The boys chose their own colours too, so looks like I'll be busy. Must photograph the results so far- I've done 1 1/2 scarves already.

It was lovely to see Gill and everyone at the Halifax meeting (Hi, Lucy!). We hadn't managed to bring any mince pies but there was plenty of stuff there, which impressed Joy.

I just had a funny conversation with my BIL, who was completely outraged with this picture. He said it was a health and safety nightmare, but I thought it was less dangerous than them running about the garage. Anyway- they need to learn about danger and real life. This is the only way. It's not as bad as the garage where I had the MOT done, anyway, where I had to go inside to pay, stepping over airlines and avoiding the pit, taking the boys with me. It hadn't really bothered me, really- I was just careful not to let them rock the car about or get out on that side. I had to get a new tyre as it had a nail near the side wall. Anyway, got some 'L' plates for Meg while I was there.
After all that they were still up for a massive Xmas food shop, so we got that done too. Amazing.

There was a bit of a fiasco yesterday: Joy was invited to a skating party in Picadilly Gardens, Manchester so I asked Brendan to take her as he was going there anyway, and someone else to bring her back. But he missed the train so it was nearly finished, and sounds like no-one else would co-operate and stay on the ice with Joy for an extra 10 minutes so she could have a go. A bit mean. Anyway, she got to go to the party in Cafe Nero for hot chocolate and birthday cake, and saw some police horses doing a poo, which seemed to make up for the gross dissappointment of not skating for more than 2 minutes, which I think I was more upset about than her. Hopefully I will be taking her to the outdoor rink in Halifax on Friday.

2 comments:

Gill said...

What's happening on Friday? News to me.. !

Rosie said...

http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/leisure/activities/iceskating/index.html

I booked it through Sarah M- free. Dont know if there are any tickets left.