Thursday, December 07, 2006

mother of the 3

Yay! Freedom!

Our passports came- just 6 days after I sent off for them. (Of course I had to get one each- that's 4, not including Meg, who hasn't done hers yet.)

Now we can go anywhere- the world is our classroom! We can go away for Christmas! We can emigrate!

"Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary"

But, hold on a minute...what's that little thing on the last page?
"Biometric passports can be identified by this symbol on the front cover. The symbol shows there is an electronic chip inside the book...
The back page of that book also holds an electronic chip and antenna"

Presumably for tracking purposes. So everywhere you go with your passport you can be tracked. So when they bring in the requirement to carry around your passport (/ID Card) at all times....you will be trackable at all times. I know this is theoretically possible with a mobile phone, but no-one is requiring us to carry them around- I usually don't.

Furthermore: "If your passport or the chip is damaged [say, by being hit by a big hammer] it may prevent you from travelling and you may need to get a replacement passport...passport fees will apply." No, it will not prevent you from travelling: someone may prevent you from travelling.

So why didn't I get them before they brought in the biometrics? I couldn't afford it. It was 229 + 14 for the photo's. That's more than the MOT.

Mother of the free

2 comments:

Gill said...

On the front page it says "You're free to travel.." and in the small print is says "But we'll track your movements." ?

Amazing.

Rosie said...

Tech- Adults may be required to attend an interview as part of the application process in early 2007.
they are also considering including fingerprints in the future.
yeah- foil lined- I'll have to find out if that would work!
Apparently there is no other personal data on the chip that is not on the readable zone- IE the page with your photo on. (That is not to say that your data cannot be matched up with other data held elsewhere.)
The chip can be damaged by high or low temperatures, excess moisture, magnetic fields and microwaves.
yep Gill- 'free' !