
This originally started as a comment on Tech's blog.
I don't get Christmas- I never know what to do- I just get swept along by it all and try not to do anything I don't believe in but I think I have already said things like: "can't you wait for Christmas before you get any new toys?" Why?
It was a bit easier with Meg (it wasn't 3 against 1 for a start!) and she only wanted little things like a "my little pony". Mind you, I dont think we have too many big expectations yet. But we had been to the supermarket, which was full of pressies, etc, although nothing compared with the likes of Tesco, I expect. But it did result in "I'm bored... Why can't I have any good toys?...Playmobil castle..." I have been in Leeds and Halifax and seen the Xmas shop window displays. We have had piped Xmas music in the playgym. I even saw a few Xmas commercials on Meg's TV (shudder).
After the above comment I was asked.."When is Christmas?" So I said it was time to start the advent calendars tomorrow- THATS HOW SOON IT IS *full of dread and trying not to show it*. I always get into a kind of panic in December. I try to tell myself that it is because the days are getting shorter and it becomes increasingly difficult to do everything you normally do, let alone any extra stuff, that Xmas seems to demand. Especially on parents. Am I doing this to myself or is it external pressure? I have had some really *bad* Christmasses lately. (Family- argh!). I could go away. Really, I just want to hibernate....
2 comments:
My child decides which toys to save for Christmas and which toys to open before. It's his party.
Maybe you could try that? Just a suggestion.
Thanks, Leo. I wanted to give him some choice over it, after all, theres no point in giving if it is only on my terms.
He did say after (about the castle) "I don't mind when I get it, as long as I get it". He was OK when he realised it was a possibility, when he found out you can get them cheaper- (he can read then, when he wants to!). I was thinking that I could give it him now, but that would then lead to dissappointment later- he's only 6. Maybe we need another chat about it.
Post a Comment